I was asked by a friend of mine what scriptures I wrote on the floors in the house before the men put the hardwoods down in the bedrooms. Some of the verses were ones that I had memorized in the past, some were favorites, and others just seemed appropriate. Honestly, I could have put so many more verses if I had the time.
God’s Word is appropriate in every situation. I also feel that by having God’s Word in the house at all times, we are protected in some way. These are verses that have God’s promises for our family in them. I tried to do a mixture of both Old and New Testament.
The verses are in bold. Some of them have an explanation below the verse as to why I chose it.
1. “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future.'” Jeremiah 29:11
This is a verse that I stumbled upon just before marrying Tom. Once I found it, it was everywhere. We have really claimed this verse for our family. My mantra, of sorts. It was also the verse that was handwritten and taped up in one of the bathrooms of our house when we came to look at it for the first time, and to possibly buy it. To us, it seemed like a sign from God that this was the house that He had chose for our family. It was a very special moment for us.
2. “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” Ephesians 3:20-21
3. “ And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28
4. “If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” Romans 8:32-33
5. “Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.” Romans 8:34
6. “ I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” Ephesians 3:14-19
7. “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hopethrough the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,” 1 Peter 1:3
8. “For it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.” 1 Peter 1:16
9. “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another.” Ephesians 4:2 I thought this would be a good one for the master bedroom.
10. “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13 This a verse that I memorized a few years ago when I really needed some hope and joy in my life. It was right before Miller was born. God’s Word is a wonderful thing to memorize. There is always encouragement and hope on the tip of my tongue and always in my head….ready to be used.
11. “By wisdom a house is built and through understanding it is established.” Proverbs 24:3
12. “For the Spirit of God does ot make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.” 2 Tim 1:7
13. “He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace.” 2Tim 1:9
14. “Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path” Psalm 119:105 I quite appropriately wrote this one on the stairs.
15. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.” Prov 3:5-6 I memorized this verse as a teenager. After I came back from Colorado and rededicated myself to the Lord, this verse came back into my memory. I ran to my mom and asked her what verse it was. I really relied on this one while dating Tom (until the Jeremiah verse became my main verse) Both Wilson and Faith know the first half of this one.
16. “For the Son of Man can to seek and to save the lost.” Luke 19:10
17. “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13 This is the verse that Faith wrote on the floor. I remind the kids of this verse all the time when they doubt themselves and their own capabilities. They have memorized it.
18. Delight yourselves in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.” 2 Cor 4:7 I totally believe this verse! God wants to give us the things that we want and desire. He just wants us to put Him first in our lives and do the right things in His eyes.
19. “Be clear minded and self controlled so that you can pray.” 1 Peter 1:13 I am so distracted by the kids, life and my to-do list that I can’t think straight, much less pray. Seems that those in the Bible had the same problem. I need this to be a constant reminder in my life right now.
20. “If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God.” 1 John 4:15
21. “There is no fear in love.” 1 John 4:18 My uncle Alan wrote this verse in my Bible at my engagement party. He told me that I had to trust Tom and not be afraid. I still have the piece of paper Alan gave me.
22. “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to Gods, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” 1 Peter 4:9
23. “I will lie down and sleep in peace. For you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe.” Psalm 4:8 A perfect verse for kids. Anytime that they are afraid at night I remind them of God’s sovereignty and His promise to protect them.
24. “You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast because he trusts you.” Isaiah 26:3 I don’t know why I chose to memorize this verse right before Faith was born. God knew that I was going to need it, I guess. When Faith was only a few months old my dad told me that he had prostate cancer. As you can imagine, I was very upset. I remember crying and praying to God that he would heal my dad and not let him die. During that prayer this verse popped into my head. I felt a wave of peace come over me. From that moment on I did not worry about my dad’s health nor his recovery from prostate cancer. I knew that God had it all under control.